April 6, 2015

Is it time to update your store's bridal registry?

When I owned a gift store, it was in a small community that didn't have frequent wedding ceremonies, and a full-on bridal registry would not have been profitable.  Besides, the local Belk already had a formal bridal registry.

Instead, I took a more expansive view of the concept and maintained a Wish List program that worked for any gift-giving occasion.  I did still register some brides, of course, and learned that they were more keen on functional items they would use regularly rather than keepsakes or formal entertaining items that would be rarely used - but still needed to be stored somewhere.   

It's funny because it's true
My best example was when one of my favorite customers (and not just because she and her husband were my landlords) needed a gift for a bride with no registry anywhere.  We decided on a wall clock by Timeworks.  Remember them?  Anyway, when I saw my customer after the bridal shower, she said the bride was thrilled with her choice because she would use it in her new home and be reminded of my customer's thoughtfulness each day. 

So just because you are not a traditional tabletop retailer with a bridal registry, there's no reason you shouldn't engage (see what I did there?) this customer - especially as the modern couple is less likely to be a traditional consumer.   

Navigating the ritual is trickier than ever.  For example, if you're providing invitations you have to know how to list parents who are no longer - or never were - married to one another.  Engaged couples are also likely to cohabit and already own many essential items.  And don't overlook the couples whose upcoming nuptials are not their first.

In another sign of changing times (and opportunity to grow your business), you may also be registering same-sex couples. 
  
I don't actually sell all the items pictured here - like the fish course knife & fork

Throughout the month of April, I will be highlighting items from lines I represent (of course) as suggestions to add variety, spice and inspiration to your registry program.  With the most active wedding and engagement season upon us, it's a good time to spruce up your offerings to put smiles on the faces of newlyweds, confused gift givers and your accountant.

Remember - do a good job for them and they may register with you again for their next one.


No comments:

Post a Comment