December 23, 2016

Happy Holidays 2016


Before you read further, you should agree that Karen Carpenter has the most perfect voice for singing Christmas songs.  Ever.  It's not open for debate.  The science is settled.

I have always loved the buildup to Christmas and have never been one to frown upon businesses decorating prior to Thanksgiving.  In fact, I've been known to pull out a Christmas CD or two during the summer for a little bit of cheer.  In May 1998, I remember listening to an Anne Murray one when I started feeling the effects of what was diagnosed later that evening as strep throat.  I don't hold Anne responsible, though, and I still listen to her each Christmas.  Just not in the summer.

I even enjoyed working retail at Christmas because I'm weird like that.

As much as I love the anticipation of Christmas - the lights, the food, the colors, the good cheer, the parades, the parties, wrapping gifts - I have to confess that Christmas Day itself can be a letdown.  By 2:00pm, I'm ready to get back to normal life.  Enough of the radio with Taylor Swift and Kelly Clarkson butchering my favorite songs along with songs that need to be butchered like "Little Drummer Boy" and "Christmas Shoes."

Yep, before the sun goes down I'm ready for the new season of "How to Get Away with Murder" and anxiously await the Christmas episode of  "EastEnders" to see what Christmas tragedy plays out this year.

No matter what holiday you celebrate (if any) around the winter solstice, I think we can all agree that once we're past New Year's that we're ready for summer.  It doesn't work that way in Virginia, however, so we have to wait.  That wasn't the case when I lived in California because even the coldest day there was akin to a chilly spring day here.  You could still wear shorts to run errands, but you'd probably want to throw on a sweatshirt.

I hope you each enjoy whatever holiday you observe, create some fond memories, get to relax and reflect and gear up to make 2017 an extraordinary year!

No comments:

Post a Comment