June 4, 2015

Why do sales reps want you to make appointments with them at market?

This post is a collaboration with Amy Fay Chandler, a fellow sales rep at Werner Frank.  When I say collaboration, I mean she allowed me to use some of her thoughts - sometimes verbatim - and asked me not to credit her, but I'm doing it anyway.


With the summer gift shows on the horizon, no doubt you are fielding calls from your sales reps about your plans - and asking you to make appointments.

And you're wondering why we always ask you for an appointment even though you never make them.  It's not just because our manufacturers are asking us how many appointments we have.  It's also so we can be prepared for you and not waste your time.

Can you imagine trying to tell your customers about all the products in your store - without being in your store? The gift shows are to you what your store is to your customers!

Market appointments are smart when you know your representative will be prepared for you just like you prepare for your customers.  Don't you save your customers time when you work with them?  Don't you make sure they know about any specials you're offering so they get the most for their money?  Of course!  The same is true when you allow me to work with you at market.

Your market time is valuable, and you spend a considerable sum of money to attend (as do your sales reps).  If you include me in your plans, I pledge to be a good steward of your most precious resources - your time and your money.


My preparation begins when you commit to a meeting.  I take the following steps to make sure I'm ready for you when you arrive.
  • Review your sales history and create a report for your shop
  • Compare your sales history with best seller lists to identify any missed opportunities
  • Pre-shop the showroom with your store in mind to make sure we don't miss anything
  • Make notes of questions to ask you - especially if we have not worked together extensively - to make sure I'm not wasting your time on product that is not likely to make you money
You can make your market trip efficient with some simple preparation, too.  (Even if you don't work with me, these are useful practices):
  • Write your must-have reorder list and bring it with you, then we can build on it with a focus on the abundance of NEW product which is what you're really there to see
  • Review the list of lines I represent (on the right-hand sidebar) to see what vendors I represent and what show specials are available.  Tip: check back before market as there may be late additions at Werner Frank
  • Write down your questions as you think of them so you don't worry that you will forget to ask
  • If you know you're interested in a new line, alert me beforehand so we can make it a priority.  All information is welcome and helps me make your visit more efficient.
  • Let me know of any special needs you have.  FYI...wine is not considered a special need and is always available at Werner Frank
In Atlanta, you are most likely to find me at the Werner Frank showroom (#1200 in Building 2, right by the elevators) where you will discover new lines that allow you to be first-to-market with some up-and-coming suppliers who can keep your shop's assortment unique.

In addition, I can also work with you at the Vance Kitira (#1328B in Building 2) showroom and the Abbott showroom (#1233 in Building 2).  I'm not able to work with you on Paddywax or Studio Oh, but both companies provide me with extensive sample kits that make it easy to show you the line and write an order once you're back home - or even before you leave for market!  You can still qualify for their show specials.


I'm making appointments now and would be thrilled to have you on my calendar.  Even if you don't want to commit to a specific time, it helps to know a time frame or even what day you plan to come by.  It allows me to be expecting you and stay as available as possible.

If you do want to set a specific time, you can call, email or text me with your plans.  Werner Frank even has a nifty scheduler that allows you to see my schedule and set an appointment without contacting me at all.  Click here to have a look at it and find a time that works best for you.

It's always a privilege to work with you, and I appreciate your continued support.

No comments:

Post a Comment